(CBS News) Chef Dale Talde is the chef and a proprietor of three Brooklyn, N.Y., restaurants: Talde, Thistle Hill Tavern and Pork Slope.
Talde is a Chicago native and the son of Filipino immigrants. He uses those early influences in his life to spice up his traditional yet modern dishes.
The acclaimed chef competed on Bravo's "Top Chef" twice, in season four as well as the show's "All Star" season.
Talde took home two big awards already this year. He was named Food and Wine's The People's Best New Chef for 2013 out of the New York area as well as named a New York rising star by Star Chef.
He shared his ultimate dish, short-rib kare kare with "CBS This Morning: Saturday."
Short-rib kare kare
5 pounds short-rib, seasoned and seared
1/2 cup shrimp paste (Belachan)
2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
1 large white onion (chopped)
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 dried Thai chili
2 teaspoons annatto seed
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 small tomato
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
5 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon rice flour
1. Wrap shrimp paste in foil and toast in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
2. Heat a large dry cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Season the short ribs with salt. Sear ribs until browned, approximately 4-5 minutes per side. Set aside.
4. In a large pot with oil, saute onions, garlic, ginger, and chilies until lightly caramelized.
5. Add annatto seed and turmeric and lightly toast in oil.
6. Deglaze with tomatoes and add sugar.
7. Next add white vinegar and reduce by half.
8. Finally add 3 cans of coconut milk.
9. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
10. In a large braising dish, add searched short ribs and add toasted shrimp paste/coconut milk mixture and cover with parchment paper and foil.
11.Braise for 4-5 hours
12.Pass braising liquid through a fish mesh strainer.
13.Blend together braising liquid and peanut butter.
14.Bring braising liquid up to a boil in a saucepan. Add rice flour and simmer until reduced.
Spam Fried Rice Recipe
4 1/2 cups dry rice, cooked and cooled (preferably day old)
6-7 eggs, with a splash of water, scrambled
1 (11 ounce) can Spam lite, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
12 ounces frozen peas and carrots, thawed
Toasted nori sheets for garnish, cut into thin slices
1 cup aloha shoyu soy sauce (or Kikkoman soy sauce, just use a bit more sugar to sweeten)
4-5 tablespoons sugar, for aloha shoyu or 6-7 tablespoons for Kikkoman soy sauce
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 Scramble eggs in about 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok on medium high heat. When done, set aside in a bowl.
2 Place another tablespoon of oil in wok and saute onions and Spam on medium high heat. When golden and starting to crisp on the outsides add the thawed peas and carrots.
3 Combine ingredients for the sauce and stir until sugar is dissolved, tasting along the way to be sure it is sweet enough for you. Add to the vegetables and boil on high until the sauce reduces to a glaze.
4 Slowly add the cooled rice and eggs to the vegetable mixture, being sure to break up any clumps of rice and so the coloring is even. Warm the rice through and top with slices of toasted nori sheets before serving.
Roasted Asparagus with XO Romesco Sauce
1 bunch asparagus
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Clean the asparagus. Break the tough ends off the end of the asparagus at the natural breaking point. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the skin off of the bottom half of the asparagus.
2. Place a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat. In a mixing bowl, drizzle asparagus with olive oil to coat. Add asparagus and cook until fork tender, about 5 minutes.
3 each large red bell pepper
3 each large tomatoes (cored)
1 each head of garlic (root removed)
4 each large white onions
4 each dried Thai chilies
1/3 cup hazelnuts
1 slice white bread
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sherry vinegar
1 cup XO Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl drizzle bell pepper, tomatoes, white onion and bread. Roast until vegetables are soft and golden brown, approximately 40 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
4. Turn oven down to 275 degrees.
5. On a separate roasting pan, place garlic, hazelnuts and dried Thai chilies.
6. Roast until fragrant, approximately 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and allow cooling.
8. Place dried Thai chili in a small mixing bowl with water to rehydrate for 30 minutes.
9. Puree water and Thai chili in a food processor until smooth.
10.Then, puree bell pepper, tomatoes, garlic, onion, hazelnuts, bread, and sherry vinegar while emulsifying the extra virgin olive oil.
11.The sauce should still be a little chunky.
12. Fold in the XO sauce, cool and reserve.
Grilled Sweet Potato Robata
4 cups maple syrup
1/4 sherry vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes.
3. Cut each sweet potato into medium sized pieces.
4. Place sweet potatoes in a baking dish and bake until soft.
5. Skewer baked sweet potatoes and grill.
2 cups unagi eel Sauce
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup sherry vinegar
2 cups maple syrup (Grade B)
1 pound butter, cubed
1/4 cup bacon fat
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cups tapioca maltodextrin
1. In a food processor, combined bacon fat and olive oil.
2. Slowly add tapioca maltodextrin until mixture becomes a powder.
Note: Substitute crispy, chopped bacon for bacon powder.
Dip the skewered sweet potatoes into the maple tare sauce. Finish with bacon powder and chopped scallions.
Fried Apple Pie Recipe:
Apple Cider Butter
2 cups apple cider
8 ounces butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Put Apple cider, sugar, and salt in a pot, and reduce until it's about 1/4 cup of liquid.
2. Mount butter into apple cider. Set aside.
10 Granny Smith apples
3 cups brown sugar
1 tbls salt
1 cup raisins
1 cup butter
2 tbls cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Raw roti dough
Sugar in the raw
1. Peel and core apples, cut into small dice.
2. In a large pan caramelize brown sugar, place diced apple, raisins, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Cook until apples are just tender
3. Mount butter into cooked apples, then thicken sauce with cornstarch and water mixture.
4. Place apples in a shallow pan and chill.
5. Square off raw roti dough, put chilled apples in the center, careful not to put too much or else it will leak out the sides. Fold over and seal the edges. Sprinkle generous amount of sugar in the raw on bottom and top, then score 3 slits on the top. Fry in oil at 350 degree until golden brown. Serve with any ice cream and apple butter.
2.2 oz Sauza Gold tequila
0.5 oz triple sec
0.5 oz fresh lime juice
0.5 oz fresh lemon juice
2 oz fresh watermelon puree
1. Shake all ingredients together and serve on the rocks.
2. Garnish with a watermelon wedge rimmed in black and white salt.