Attorney General John Ashcroft said the man, Al Rauf Bin Al Habib Bin Yousef Al-Jiddi, 36, a Canadian citizen born in Tunisia, was identified in part from a suicide letter found in the rubble of the Afghanistan residence of Mohammad Atef, believed to have been Osama bin Laden's military chief. Officials say Atef was killed by a U.S. airstrike in November.
The Canadian government also provided assistance in identifying Al-Jiddi, Ashcroft said. Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien said Friday the man no longer was in Canada.
The Justice Department last week released videos and photos of five suspected members of al-Qaida, including one shown cradling a rifle and one of a Yemeni man who authorities believe was supposed to take part in the Sept. 11 attacks.
The discovery that one of these five is Canadian is particularly troubling, reports CBS News Correspondent Jim Stewart, given the fact al-Qaida has already tried to launch one attack from there, back during the millennium. Officials say, however, they have no evidence, thus far at least, that any of these men have entered the United States.
The government had tentatively identified four of the men as Abd Al-Rahim, Muhammad Sa'id Ali Hasan, Khalid Ibn Muhammad Al-Juhani and Ramzi Binalshibh. The fifth man's identify was not known until Friday.
Ashcroft said the FBI also is looking for an associate of Al-Jiddi, identified as Faker Boussora, 37, also a Canadian citizen born in Tunisia. Boussora may be traveling with Al-Jiddi and "both individuals should be considered extremely dangerous," Ashcroft said.
"We do not know the whereabouts of these individuals," he said. "As a result, we are publicizing their photographs worldwide."
Ashcroft also released "retouched" photographs of the other men who appeared in the videotapes delivering suicide messages. He said the FBI had altered the photographs to show each individual with a Westernized appearance.
Ashcroft said last week that little was known about any except Binalshibh, a Yemeni who officials allege was an associate of the Sept. 11 suicide hijacker Mohamed Atta.
In the December indictment against Zacarias Moussaoui, Binalshibh was named along with Atta and the 18 other hijackers as an unindicted co-conspirator.
The videotapes were recovered recently in Kabul, Afghanistan, from the rubble of the home of Mohammad Atef, believed to have been Osama bin Laden's military chief. Officials say Atef was killed by a U.S. airstrike in November.
Officials also said they planned to release photographs of the five men showing what they would look like wearing Western-style cloting.
Ashcroft has urged anyone who has seen the men to call the FBI or an American consulate and warned that they are suspected of planning additional attacks against civilians.
Authorities have said the men did not specify what would be attacked, but used anti-American rhetoric and spoke of a hatred of "infidels."
Authorities don't know where the men are or whether they were killed in the bombing raids in Afghanistan. There is no evidence they ever entered the United States; the Atta associate tried to enter the country three times last year but was unsuccessful.
©MMII CBS Worldwide Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report