So The Early Show co-anchor Rene Syler went to the famous The Breakers resort in Palm Beach, Fla., to find out how. She got help from fitness trainer Venessa D'Angelo.
The key to a successful golf swing is balance. And Pilates exercise teaches total body conditioning by integrating the entire body into all movement patterns, as optimal golf performance requires.
Here is a list of what Golf Pilates Cross Training is designed to do:
- Restore muscle balance by lengthening the tight muscles
- Strengthen the weak muscles
- Enhance balance and stability
- Increase strength and power
The following are the exercises Syler learned from D'Angelo.
Basic Pilates Move
"The Roll Up" –Similar to a sit-up, this is done with a focus on spinal articulation and upper back muscles (core engagement). This exercise helps stretching the muscles of the upper back
Golf Pilates Moves
- The "Address Stance Squats" – It is a leg squat with greater focus on stability and the core of the body. It can be done on a Bosu Ball. It increases strength, balance, coordination, and reflexes.
- "Single Leg Stance with Magic Circle" (holding golf club) – It is a single leg balance that activates core muscles, with particular emphasis on hamstrings and strength. It addresses hip disassociation, balance, stability, lower body endurance and strength.
- "Spine Twist" - It can be done on a large Physio Ball, standing or seated. It increases flexibility of chest and shoulders, improves trunk rotation, and improves neuro-muscular system for twisting movements.
A Pilates program cannot achieve results in one session. And anyone with health conditions or orthopedic problems should consult a physician before beginning any type of Pilates program.
For more information visit, golfpilates.com.